Monday, January 23, 2012

Magic Mondays - The Magic of a Full Moon and Clouds!

A Full Moon is Rising – beautiful paintings and poems illustrate how the same wonderful moon is viewed across the world by children as they lead their daily lives. We are taken on a colorful journey woven in short flowing poems as children from Australia, China, India, Israel, the U.S., Colombia, Mali, Mexico, Canada, Turkey, South Africa.
I loved all the poems and the bright, detailed, descriptive watercolors accompanying them but my favorite lines are from one poem set in Cape Town, South Africa                                                                                    “Such smart children.” Mama laughs.
“Bright as the moon!”

 My daughter loved that children all across the world see the same moon she is seeing here in the US (specifically that her cousin in India - my niece). Her favorite poem was the one set in Australia - a beautiful painting accompanying it too  "Its glow builds a magic staircase  from the mudflats to the sky."
The end pages of the book are not to be skipped as they contain a brief overview of the phases of the moon (Gibbous is my favorite word there) and a brief description of the festivities mentioned in the poems.
Rating:  B from me and from the kids
Reading level: Ages 7 and up


Disclaimer:Thank you to Lee & Low Books for sending me a digital review copy via NetGalley. I was not compensated for my review. My thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author or publicist. They are my personal opinions formed when I read this book. 


Little Wings #1: Willa Bean's Cloud Dreams: A cute story and a wonderful first of a series. I love that Willa Bean has flaws, is different from others and yet loves that she is different, has great friends and treasures her friend and family as much as she enjoys finding treasures.  The story follows Willa Bean as she dreadfully prepares for her first day of school where she will have to – fly. And she cannot – she does not want to reveal this to others (her best friend and her family know but does the whole school have to?)
The author does a good job of capturing the joys of a little girl finding pleasures in the smallest of treasures, like a shiny stone on the road; her relationship with her friend, her pet, and her family is sweetly captured; and her fears as well as how she works to overcome them.
I am looking forward to reading the next in the series as are both my kids. I read this book to my almost six-year old daughter over a few days and my son, who is nine, could not resist coming up and hearing what was up with Willa Bean each day (from one chapter per day to three chapters per day towards the end was what they wanted!)
Rating:  B from me and B+ from the kids (I wished it could have been longer)
Reading level: Ages 6 and up (if you are reading to them, then 6 years of age and up, else it is an early reader - a chapter book)

Disclaimer:Thank you to Random House Children's Books for sending me a digital review copy via NetGalley. I was not compensated for my review. My thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author or publicist. They are my personal opinions formed when I read this book. 

Both books go toward the Read-to-Me Picture Book Challenge

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I also reviewed A Full Moon is Rising last December, I think (http://wp.me/pDlzr-2mH). It's so nice that we also have the same favorite - I enjoyed the moon in Australia as well. Haven't heard of Little Wings yet, will check that one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks... will check out your review also.. thanks for the visit, the comments and the follow:)

      Delete
  2. I'll have to check out "A Full Moon Is Rising". It would go well with our geography study!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Laurie,, this definitely will be great with a geography project at school..

      Delete

Love to hear from you! I do read all your comments and do reply whenever I can.. but I will definitely hop on over to visit you...