Monday, January 16, 2012

Magic Monday - Tall Tales


Tall: edited by Donnie Lemke:  I requested this for review as I grew up reading comics in India and love the way comics tell the stories –   they are after all picture books with lots more pictures and wonderful dialogs.
This request was definitely worth it – this collection of graphic novels that tell tall tales is delightful while being educational as well. Since I have not read the original tall tales and/or other versions of these tall tales, I cannot attest to how true they stick to character, but then again, they are tall tales! How can tall tales be educational? They still need to be told – they are now part of American folklore however they might have started and each tall tale has something additional - interesting facts, reading guide, discussion questions, writing prompts, glossary.
The collection includes the tall tales of Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, John Henry and Johnny Appleseed.
Paul Bunyan – this was my favorite of the lot! And my 9 year old son’s too. The artwork is wonderful, the text humorous, the portrayal of how Paul Bunyan’s parents take care of him very sweet and funny, and overall a truly tall tale told well!
Pecos Bill – cowboys! Lots of legends here too like in Paul Bunyan and the artwork complements the text perfectly here.
John Henry – a wonderful story of a great legend with a big heart. Loved the flowing and bright artwork here.
Johnny Appleseed – My kids read about Johnny Appleseed every year at school and celebrate the day, the week also and the school overflows with apples – thanks to Johnny Appleseed. This story portrays Johnny Appleseed’s helping nature to one and all without taking sides and strong morals very well. Again, the artwork fluidly and colorfully moves along with the text as the story moves between reality and tall tales.
I loved the comics (graphic novels) and would have loved them even more if they were just a little longer. This is a great entertainer and an educational resource for kids between eight and ten years of age.

Rating: Overall a B (most of the items were an A but the brevity of the tales compels me to give this a B).  
Reading Level: 8 years and above
Publication Date: Feb 1 2012

Disclaimer:Thank you to Stone Arch Books (a Capstone Imprint) for sending me a digital review copy via NetGalley. I was not compensated for my review. My thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author or publicist. They are my personal opinions formed when I read this book.  

Monday Meme:
What are you reading? is a weekly meme hosted by Book Journey. It is a time when we share what we've read, currently reading, or what is up next on our reading list.
Jen and Kellee at Teach Mentor Texts.host a similar meme for YA and kids books. So decided to add that as well as I spend half my time reading those.
Completed reading:
'The Sari Shop' by Rupa Bajwa (review coming soon)
'The Twentieth Wife' by Indu Sundaresan (review coming soon)
'Tall' (reviewed here - an ARC)
'Steve Jobs' by Nick Hunter (review coming soon - an ARC)
Currently reading:
'The First Men in the Moon' by H.G.Wells
'Mr.Popper's Penguins' Richard and Florence Atwater
Next to read:
Pride and Prejudice

3 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to Tall Tales- I am glad to hear it is good.

    Thanks for linking up to the meme. Have a good week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always looking for more folk literature picture books. Tall looks great! I can't wait to read it! Thanks for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did the pinewood derby go? I did consulting work and some of the really hard carving parts with our daughter way back when.
    Our car won.
    Karen's car, it's a 1982 or so Pine Wood Derby Racer
    ..

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you! I do read all your comments and do reply whenever I can.. but I will definitely hop on over to visit you...