Friday, December 9, 2011

Fun Friday – What, Why, How of Fun? Answered - Maybe….


What is fun? When I started this blog and put up my Fun Friday theme, I pondered over what I should include in my Friday posts. Since this is a blog and there are readers, I should try to include posts about things that are not only fun for me but possibly fun for lots more people too. So I decided to post about movies, board games, video games, fun places visited, and then I started putting up posts about fun things I did – like dancing, or the fun in festivities. This made me revisit the question – What is fun? And thus was born this post.
What is Fun: Wikipedia says: Fun is the enjoyment of pleasure and, according to Johan Huizinga, "an absolutely primary category of life, familiar to everybody at a glance right down to the animal level."
Usage notes for the word says: Fun is often confused with funny. Fun things make you happy, while funny things make you laugh.
So what makes you happy, or what is fun for you, might not work for others. In fact, it might be their form of torture. I can attest to things like that – while I consider reading fiction and watching Gilmore Girls fun, my DH does not (and I am sure there are others I know too who do not). And he (my DH) can spend hours happily reading technical books (while I…). In spite of these differences, everyone still knows when they are having fun and when they are not. And because of these differences, even when we do things that are considered or regarded as fun generally (go to the movies, party), we might not be having fun at all. And conversely, have lots of fun doing things that are not considered fun (do the laundry, clean out the stalls in a stable).

But there is one important thing about fun – we need it! 
Why? Well, here is a list.
Fun
  • Makes you happier
  • Brings you joy
  • Makes you more relaxed
  • More optimistic
  • Makes you more energetic(!)
  • Makes you laugh – makes you healthier
  • Increases creativity
  • Leads you to explore and discover
  • Gives you something to look forward to
  • Builds relationships
  • Helps you become a better person because you are happier, optimistic, energetic, relaxed (at the same time, yes, why not), healthy, creative, with wonderful family and friends. 
And because of all these benefits, as well as the fact that, when you have fun – you enjoy your work – you can do more and do better,  it's OK to want to have fun in everything you do in life. Life is bettered with fun. 
How? How each person has fun is so very different so go do your fun thing today, now (whether it is playing with your kids, relaxing with your cup of coffee, saying ‘No’ to something, reading the dictionary or spelunking!)
And when you are done with your fun thing, explore more fun at these wonderful sites:
  • Toy giant Mattel did a study of ‘What is fun?’ and Mattel’s Michael Shore shared the knowledge in a TED talk. They found that some of the top ways children (and maybe holds true for adults too) children decide what is fun is when they have total freedom, when they are being goofy, when they learn/accomplish something. You can watch the video here.
  • http://thefuntheory.com/ – Fun equals a change for the better! That is their main idea. One of my favorite videos on youtube from thefuntheory.com:
  • www.deepfun.com – I discovered this while looking for a few quotes to include in today’s post and it was love at first read! You should definitely have a look too.
 Some fun quotes:
Fun does not come in sizes.” – Bart Simpson (If it did, I would choose the Largest size!)
"If you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good." - Dr. Seuss
"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in doing what they are doing." - Dale Carnegie
"Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time." - T.S.Elliot (that is smart and makes me feel less guilty too!)
"If it is not fun, you are not doing it right." - Bob Basso

So what is fun for you, or not? Do let me know.. Also, any comments on this post are welcome.. 


Friday Memes: I am reading multiple books, as usual, and so my Friday memes below include two of them. Reading for myself, reading for my kids, with my kids and reading for challenges is a whole lot of reading..
Book Beginnings: This is a weekly meme hosted by 'A Few More Pages'.
How to participate: Share the first line (or two) of the book you are currently reading on your blog or in the comments. Include the title and the author so we know what you're reading. Then, if you would like, let us know what your first impressions were based on that first line, and let us know if you liked or did not like the sentence. The link-up will be at A Few More Pages every Friday and will be open for the entire week.
  • "Before Bean met Ivy, she didn’t like her. Bean’s mother was always saying that Bean should try playing with the new girl across the street. But Bean didn’t want to." - From - 'Ivy and Bean 1: Bk.1' by Annie Barrows Chronicle Books. Kindle Edition.
  • "Ramchand had overslept, waking up only when the loud noises of a brawl in the street below had jolted him out of sleep." - From 'The Sari Shop' by Rupa Bajwa
The Friday 56 is a bookish meme sponsored by Freda's Voice. It is really easy to participate. Just grab a book, any book, and turn to page 56. Find a sentence that grabs you and post it.
  • "Very tricky, thought Bean. Ivy was turning out to be a lot more interesting than she had expected". - From - 'Ivy and Bean 1: Bk.1' by Annie Barrows Chronicle Books. Kindle Edition.
  • "When he woke up in the morning, he got out bed groggily and remembered that today was the day. He wouldn’t be spending the day in the shop.' - From 'The Sari Shop' by Rupa Bajwa (again a reference to Ramchand waking up!!)
Linking to:

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post. So glad you found me and I found you! I will DEFINITELY be back for more! Have a great weekend. (I am your newest follower)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @MerylThank you! for the lovely compliment.. and for following me as well. I am certainly glad to have found your blog.. Have a wonderful weekend..

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you! I do read all your comments and do reply whenever I can.. but I will definitely hop on over to visit you...