Wednesday, October 26, 2011

World of Words Wednesday - The Guide by R.K.Narayan

R.K.Narayan is definitely one of my favorite Indian authors. If I had to choose one book among his as my favorite, it would be very difficult - 'The Guide', 'Malgudi Days', 'The English Teacher',
- they are all wonderful, telling very different stories while at the same retaining a common thread in the setting - the wonderful town of Malgudi, in the beauty of the writing, and in the keep-reading-till-you-are-done storytelling.
I saw the Hindi movie - Guide (starring the evergreen Dev Anand and the doe-eyed Waheeda Rehman) - way before I read the book. The movie was definitely a classic and I loved it but I have to say - I loved the book more!!!
R.K.Narayan tells the story of Raju and Rosie. Raju - the central character in this story - is a likable rogue - a tourist guide who through a series of events in his life, ends up as a spiritual guide..
Through the course of the story, he guides tourists expertly knowing what they want before they themselves do, meets and falls in love with Rosie whom he guides towards him and away from her husband, lets himself be guided by greed and status symbols, and finally, completely by chance, ends up being a spiritual guide to a whole village(s). As he lands into this new role of the holy/spiritual guide by accident and tries to adapt himself to that, he becomes what people think he is..
R.K.Narayan's story telling is simple on the surface with lots of depth underneath.

This goes towards my South Asian Challenge.


Kathy over at Bermudaonion's Weblog hosts Wondrous Words Wednesday. If you come across a word (or two) while reading that is new to you and would like to share your new knowledge, then hop over to Kathy's place and link up!
For Wednesday Memes, again from 'Cutting for Stone' by Abraham Varghese:
eidetic : ei·det·ic adj. [PSYCHOLOGY] relating to or denoting mental images having unusual vividness and detail, as if actually visible. ¦ n. a person able to form or recall eidetic images.
Usage in the book: She was reminded how often she took Shiva’s eidetic gift for granted. She knew he could draw the page he was reciting from, reproduce it on a blank piece of paper, beginning and ending each line just as it was on the original, down to the punctuation, the page number, and the staple marks and photocopy smudges.

aliquot: al·i·quot n. a portion of a larger whole, esp. a sample taken for chemical analysis or other treatment. (also aliquot part or portion) [MATHEMATICS] a quantity that can be divided into another an integral number of times. ¦ v. [trans.] (usu. be aliquoted) divide (a whole) into aliquots; take aliquots from (a whole). late 16th cent.: from French aliquote, from Latin aliquot 'some, so many', from alius 'one of two' + quot 'how many'.
Usage in the book: In the kitchen, I took out my dinner, which was a foil packet labeled FRIDAY in my handwriting; it was the last of what I had cooked, frozen, and packed in aliquots many weekends ago.

4 comments:

  1. I tell you what, we're learning lots of words from Cutting for Stone. I'll try to remember these so I won't have to look them up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Peggy@Peggy Ann's PostLoved your list of words - especially 'skailed' - will be fun to use it! Thanks for visiting

    ReplyDelete
  3. @bermudaonionYes, totally agree.. I have a mini-dictionary now with the list of words I got from Cutting for Stone!!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you! I do read all your comments and do reply whenever I can.. but I will definitely hop on over to visit you...