Saturday, February 5, 2011

Something for Saturday - Love is in the Air - Gift Ideas for your loved ones

Valentines Day - I remember when Valentines day was first something to celebrate in India. I saw all the Hallmarks and Archies (greeting card stores in India) stores in Bangalore suddenly start displaying huge heart based displays and teddy bears. It caught on pretty soon in India too for who does not love the images Valentines Day brings to mind - love, romance, chocolates, hearts, teddy bears, flowers. And then I moved to the US and my first Valentines Day here, I heard the bell ring one evening. On opening the door, I saw a 2 ft brown bear waiting for me..:) As years passed and the kids came along and started school, Valentines Day meant preparing cards for the 20+ kids in their classes (this year was heart popup cards - you can look at Robert Sabuda's amazing popup page for inspiration).
 For those who want other options, here are a few suggestions that I normally love to gift anytime of the year

For everyone on your list, you can find something
tasty, wonderful, and cost-effective at Trader Joes:  Chocolates - who does not love them - you can choose from a variety at TJs (Chocolate Orange, Chocolates of the World, ); Baking mixes for those who would love it: Pumpkin mix, Multigrain Pancake and Baking Mix (my favorite);
unique at Uncommon Goods. I have bought gifts there occasionally.  I love to browse their site so very often just because.. and sometimes this leads to buying. They have everything from jewelry, clothes, recycled products, games, to an automatic composter. Some suggestions for kids include the colorful Potholder loom,3D Human Muscle and Skeleton puzzle), for someone special - glass zipper bag, roses,of course (made out of elephant poo, no less!) and more that you can find at their site.
,almost everything at Amazon.com: my go-to place for almost everything. Books for my little ones, toys ( Snap Circuits Jr. SC-100, books), furniture, video games (my recent loved purchases include Just Dance 2 and Wii Sports Resort)  and more. The prices are hard to beat and free shipping to boot makes it all worthwhile.
photo books, anyone?: When I initially researched various photo book making sites, I fell in love with Blurb (there are other good ones too though). You can make and self-publish books if you want of any sort here or you can make books for your personal pleasure. I made photo books of the kids as gifts for grandparents who enjoyed it a lot and is a treasured item at home for both sets of grandparents.

Other suggestions include handmade anything (cards, CD compilations, cakes, cookies)

The love in your heart wasn't put to stay;
Love isn't love until you give it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you! I do read all your comments and do reply whenever I can.. but I will definitely hop on over to visit you...