Monday, January 3, 2011

Just Another Magic Monday - Mommy /Teacher

What is the best thing about being a mom for you? For me, it is the cute wave and the loudly whispered ‘I love you’ my daughter sends out to me from across the room midway through her swimming lesson as I watch her, it is the delighted smile my son sends my way when I drop in at his class during art docent classes, it is the eagerness they show in cleaning their room when they are out to impress and help me. It is a special privilege only I have, being their mom. And I love putting more smiles on their face, whether it is by making special treats, going on trips, or teaching them what they want to learn when and how they want to learn it.
Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy LessonsWhen my son was four and wanted to start reading the Harry Potter series (mom was reading these magical books at that time), I told him he had to learn reading first and he took to it like a duck to water. The book Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons was perfect and helped me teach him reading. It is organized very well and teaches reading by the DISTAR method. You will see “th”, “sh” and “ch” appear in the book before ‘b’,’z’. Midway through the book, in just a few weeks, he was already reading level 1 books by himself. 

Of course, with my daughter it is different. She cannot sit through all the exercises of each lesson in the book and we were on lesson 15 at the end of the first session (which lasted about 15 minutes and which is the recommended time for one lesson). So I have to work on a different technique with her. She is perfectly happy being read to and she has three people willing and able to do so. The good thing is, she now wants to write letters to her friends and family – this could possibly be my signal to start teaching her (by helping her learn to write a letter to her best friend at school or to mommy).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you! I do read all your comments and do reply whenever I can.. but I will definitely hop on over to visit you...