Monday, January 14, 2013

Magic Monday - The Superlative Magic of Kipling


Rudyard Kipling's Just So Comics: Tales of the World's Wildest Beasts
by Rudyard Kipling
Illustrated by Pedro Rodriguez
Publisher Stone Arch Books
Description:
Ever wonder how the leopard got his spots or how the elephant got his trunk? Well, look no further! In this comics compilation of Just So Stories, famed author and worldwide explorer Rudyard Kipling travels from the Horn of Africa to the deserts of India and discovers the truth behind four of the world’s wildest beasts.

My thoughts:
Rudyard Kipling is definitely a well-loved author and even if people have not read him, many have definitely watched his stories come to like in ‘The Jungle Book’, ‘Kim’ and more.  His short stories are as delightful as his novels and pack a whole lot of wit, wisdom, and oodles of fun.  You can read Rudyard Kipling’s original Just Stories collection here online, thanks to Project Gutenberg.
This book is a graphic adaptation of some of his ‘Just So Stories’ and they are funny even in this retelling.  The comics retain the original plots but tell them with a more modern twist on them and the wacky illustrations are a perfect accompaniment to the stories. Each story has a research page in the beginning and a conclusion at the end that adds to the story. The book also includes a few fun facts on the main characters/animals at the end of each story.
The stories included in comic form in this collection are the ones below:
            How the Leopard got his Spots
            How the Elephant got his Trunk
            How the Rhinoceros got his Skin
            How the Camel got his Hump
My son’s comments on these stories – “They are funny and totally interesting. I laughed so hard my pants fell off. My favorite story is ‘The Lazy Camel’. “ (mine too!)
Rating: B+ 
Reading Level: 8 to 11 years
Disclaimer:Thank you to NetGalley for sending me a digital review copy of the book above. I was not compensated for my review. My thoughts on this book was in no way influenced by the author or publicist. They are my personal opinions formed when I read the book.

By Brian P. Cleary
Illustrated by Brian Gable
©2013
Millbrook Press
From the book jacket:
What are comparatives and superlatives? After reading this book, you’ll have a much clearer idea and will be the best at forming these descriptive words! Brian P. Cleary and Brian Gable explain how these forms of adjectives compare nouns, through the cleverest rhymes and illustrations that are sillier than ever. Each comparative or superlative word is printed in color for easier identification.
Breezier, Cheesier, Newest, and Bluest: What Are Comparatives and Superlatives? turns traditional grammar lessons on end. Read it aloud and share in the delight of the sense - and nonsense - of words.

My thoughts:
This book is a fun way to teach grammar concepts to kids. The wacky illustrations and quirky rhymes will surely bring a smile and educate at the same time. My kids read the book aloud and tried making up more comparatives and superlatives as they read the book – it showed me that they caught on to the concept very well as soon as they read the book. A helpful chart provided at the end of the book describes how to form more of these words.
This is a good addition to your personal library as well as to class/school libraries. Definitely one of the better fun grammar concepts books I have read, maybe even among the best. Edutainment indeed!

Rating: A
Reading Level: 7 - 11 years

Disclaimer:Thank you to NetGalley for sending me a digital review copy of the book above. I was not compensated for my review. My thoughts on this book was in no way influenced by the author or publicist. They are my personal opinions formed when I read the book.
  
For NaBloPoMo:, where the prompt for today is: 
If you were a superhero, what would be your hidden superpower?
My hidden superpower – I guess would be lightning speed – in everything I do – then I would be finally able to accomplish all I plan to in the 24 hours each day and in lifeJ
Mind reading was a superpower I gave thought to but am not sure I would be comfortable with it at all. But I guess knowing exactly what powers the others possess will help.That might be a superpower I would love to have.
 
This week at Musing Mondays over at Should Be Reading, the question asked that I picked of many
What book am I reading and why?
I am reading, as always, a great many books. But two books I started recently are:
The Night Circus: I had been planning to read it and added it to my TBR last year after seeing it on many lists/blogs.  And now it fits into one of the challenges I am doing.
Bleak House: I enjoyed reading Charles Dickens (the books I have read as a child) and when I saw this book in one of the challenges, I decided I need to attempt to read this one now. 

For my Monday kid’s books reviews, the books reviewed here today go towards the weekly meme at Jen and Kellee's - and What are you reading? From Picture Books to YA

Also participating at
Monday Mingle over at Tough Cookie Mommy - This is a place for networking:) So please link up and follow other blogs on this blog hop/linky on Google Friend Connect, Facebook, or Twitter.

For What are you reading? @Book Journey
Completed reading:
White Fang by Jack London (eBook from Gutenberg) - reviewed here
The Fox by D.H.Lawrence (eBook) - yet to review 
Rudyard Kipling's Just So Comics: Tales of the World's Wildest Beasts - reviewed today
Breezier, Cheesier, Newest, and Bluest: What Are Comparatives and Superlatives?  - reviewed today
Following romances which I will review here
Never Trust a Rake by Annie Burrows (digital ARC)
The Reluctant Earl by C.J.Chase (digital ARC) 
Currently reading:
Secret of the Nagas by Amish (Personal copy)
The Traveling Restaurant by Barbala Else (digital RC) 
Superman and the Poisoned Planet (digital ARC)
Bleak House by Charles Dickens
Chloe's Vegan Desserts (digital ARC)
Saving Each Other by Victoria Jackson and Ali Guthy (review copy from publisher)   
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Following romances which I will review here
Checkmate, My Lord by Tracey Devyln (digital ARC)
Next on my list to read:
The Bracelet by Roberta Gately (review copy from publisher)  
Murder in Mumbai (digital RC)
Following romances which I will review here
 

2 comments:

  1. Just So Comics. Hmmm. May have to take a look at this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy recommending The Night Circus. It's a wonderful world to get lost in filled with fascinating characters!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you! I do read all your comments and do reply whenever I can.. but I will definitely hop on over to visit you...