Flaky parathas - 4 - you can buy these parathas - frozen variety at Indian groceries (layered parathas/flaky parathas) or you can make your own. I found a few good recipes - one is here
Onions - 2 medium - chopped fine
Green Chillies - 2 - slit thin
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece - chopped
Tomato - 1 - chopped (avoid using juicy tomatoes)Curry leaves - few
Capsicum/Bell pepper (any color you want) - 1 - chopped fineCarrot - 1 medium - shredded
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp (or to taste)
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Gorbanzo beans - 1 cup cooked - this is not normally used but I used it in my version of the recipe and we all loved it.
Oil - 3 tsps
Vegetables: You can also include beans, cabbage, corn, peas in this recipe.
Spices: You can also add coriander powder (1/2 tsp), clove (1 whole), cinnamom (a small piece), asafoetida powder (a pinch) to the recipe. You can also add mustard seeds and cumin seeds (1/4 tsp each) at the beginning after heating the oil and add the other ingredients once the mustard seeds pop.
- Prepare/cook the parathas and shred them to tiny bits (about 1/4 inch by 3/4 inch). Keep them aside.
- Heat the oil and add the green chillies, ginger, onions to it.
- Fry for a few minutes till onions are translucent. Then add the curry leaves, capsicum, shredded carrots, tomato and fry for about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the spices and cook till vegetables are almost cooked. (3/4)
- Add the gorbanzo beans and the shredded parathas - mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with onion raita (or any raita of choice)
Onion raita - (vengaya thayir pachadi)
1 big onion - finely chopped
3 cups curds/yoghurt - whipped smooth
salt to taste
1 tsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1 dry red chilli (or per taste) or omit :)
asafoetida/hing - 1 pinch
- Heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds, hing and the red chillies
- Add the chopped onions to the whipped curds.
- Add the salt and the heated oil from step 1 - mix and serve.
For Top Ten Tuesdays, the theme this week is top ten books I am anticipating in 2013: This is the list I came up with:)
1. A Suitable Girl byVikram Seth - I read 'A Suitable Boy' years ago and loved it. I plan to reread it sometime in the near future but in the meantime, I am so looking forward to this book. I included Vikram Seth in another TTT for this very reason here.
2. The Lady MostWilling...: A Novel in Three Parts by Julia Quinn, Eloisa James, Connie Brockway - this is technically not a 2013 book but coming next month and I am so looking forward to this book
3. And the MountainsRoared by Khaled Hosseini - I loved both books by this author and devoured them.
4. Bridge of Clay by Markus Zusak - of course! The Book Thief is featured so many times on TTT that it is no wonder I am looking forward to this one.
5. Heroes of Olympus– The House of Hades – I have just started reading book 1 but I am guessing I will be done with books 1 through 3 by the time this comes!
These remaining books, I discovered while looking for books coming out in 2013 and loved their description, so on to my TBR they go:
To sell her soul.’
Pg 34 of the digital ARC – from the story – Sing a song of sixpence by Sarwat Chadda in the anthology Two and Twenty Dark Tales
I am enjoying this book - not all the stories, I admit - but enough of them to keep on reading.