Friday, May 11, 2012

My Wednesday Thursday Post 2 - Author Interview - Anita Nair ; Defenstration, San Francisco

Author interview with Anita Nair @MyRandRSpaceWorld of Words Wednesday:
My very first author interview!!!! Thanks a ton to the wonderfully talented Anita Nair for answering my questions and for her prompt responses in her busy schedule. I had read Anita Nair's 'Ladies Coupe' a few years ago and I loved it. This was way before my blogging time else there would have been a glowing review for that. Recently, I read 'The Lilac House' and totally enjoyed the read - my review is here. I wanted to do a mini-interview with Anita after reading it and her prompt response to my email resulted in the following interview. Enjoy: 



What do you do when you are not writing?
AN: I am a serious movie buff and so when I am not writing I am either watching films or reading. I also find great pleasure in swimming and occasional forays into the kitchen.   


What were your favorite books as a child?
AN:The Anne of Green Gables series, The Coral Island, William books and all of Enid Blyton


Do you have any advice to give to aspiring writers?
AN: The only advice I have to give to aspiring writers is to just keep writing and to try and write in your own style rather than imitate a favorite writer.


Will you have a new book coming out soon? (other than Lilac House) 
AN:My new novel is what is called literary noir and is titled Cut Like Wound which is scheduled to be published in August 2012. Set in Bangalore, it trawls the underbelly of the city and has a police inspector as the hero. 


Which of your characters would you love to have as your friend? 
AN:I think that of all my characters, the one character who I would like for a friend would be Jak (J A Krishnamurthy) from The Lilac House.

Travel Thursday:


Defenestration interesting sights San Francisco hidden gems @MyRandRsPACE
One interesting spot that should not be missed in San Francisco is a building, a really old building which is currently claimed by the city under eminent domain. If you already know what I am talking about, then good for you! If not, then drive to 6th and Howard and see it for yourself - it has a name as well - Defenestration - and if you know what the word means, you will see why the building is named that.
Defenestration means the act of throwing out someone or something out of the window. This building is 'Defenestration'. As part of saving the building, a group of local artists turned the building itself into a work of art - this is what makes San Francisco uniquely itself. Whimsical, and at the same time, ghetto - this building manages to capture my interest every time I drive by. And keep hoping that, in spite of all the things that make it reclaim-and-rebuild worthy, I will still see these odd pieces of furniture out of the windows the next time I am here.
Photo courtesy - thanks to Yelp user Ed.
Building still there at least as of Feb 2012 - this knowledge courtesy thanks to Christina at Fruit of Adventure
You can check out the building's yelp page here for more photos.

My questions to all of you:
What questions would you ask an author? Anything interesting, anything that might help others?

What interesting spots do you know of in your area - weird, whimsical, cute, otherwise?

Do let me know in your comments.. Also, what did you think of this post? Always love to hear from you..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you! I do read all your comments and do reply whenever I can.. but I will definitely hop on over to visit you...